NIGERIAN GRACE

My people all over the world and fellow Nigerians in particular, how are you all doing? How is life treating you? I guess a lot of my Nigerian friends are going to say, 'my sister, we are living by the grace of God o'. As a fellow Nigerian, I understand you. Hehehe!

Eheeeen! This word 'grace'. It is just a five letter word but it's heavy. There is no human being I can think of that doesn't like this word. It's understandable because grace makes life less difficult.

Grace reminds us of favors we didn't work for: Good things we received that we were not even qualified for.

And thank God for Grace because without it, Hmm.... I can't begin to imagine how life would be. But, today I am not going to dwell on Grace as it relates to God and our salvation. I want to talk about grace and Nigerians.

All over Nigerian society, whenever I see or hear about a Mathematics teacher who cannot explain simple mathematical formulae, whose students know more than he does, or the teacher or even graduate who cannot string together two simple, correct sentences of English, I imagine that these are the people who come to church and share these kinds of testimonies,

'Praaaaise da Lord! I did not read for my exams but I passed. All I did was take my biro to Pastor, who prayed over it and God favored me. I scored higher than other more intelligent people. Praaaaise God for grace!'

'I was the only one employed as an engineer for a multinational construction company even though I do not have impressive credentials like the other applicants. Praaaaise da lord'.


I am suspicious of this kind of 'grace'. This kind that often may have been as a result of an uncle or aunt or family friend who is a big man or woman at the big company.
This grace that sacrifices competence on the altar of 'na my brother-wife-sister-pickin'.
This grace that puts horribly, disgustingly incompetent people in a position to enjoy the benefits of being employed without being able to discharge the responsibilities that come with the job,when better people could have been in their place.

Somebody may say I am being harsh. Well, na so e dey do me for belle.

Because of all these 'engraced' people, we have pupils or students who are academically backward, our standard of education is shamefully low. It's not a surprise because at the end of the day, no one can give what he doesn't have. You can't teach what you don't know. The students are the ones who suffer because of somebody's 'grace'.
The educational sector isn't the only victim. Other sectors are failing seriously because of this phenomenon.

Come to think of it, what is wrong if a person gets a job he wasn't qualified for and begins to train himself to do the job well now that he is there, instead of earning salary for doing nothing?

On a personal note, I don't want an 'engraced teacher' to teach my child, if I eventually have one. The teaching profession is one that I have the greatest respect for, so not just anyone should hold that kind of position if he or she has nothing to offer. It's like allowing a 'doctor' who didn't go to medical school to operate on a patient.

Somebody will say na wa o. Are you where you are today because you are the best? My point is, a person may not be 'the best or most competent', but he should be competent enough in his field for goodness sake. Employers, whether private or government, should stop bypassing good, competent people for incompetent people because they 'know' them. It's killing our country!

Once again, and finally, if you are in a position you clearly are not qualified for, no matter why you are there, you are there now and you MUST deliver. Take steps to build yourself to become competent enough to deliver. Don't relax because anyhow, your salary will be paid. How do you sleep well at night knowing you are earning salary for doing nothing? If you can't work up enough interest to improve yourself, then get out of there. There are people out there who would do well if given your place.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAITH'S HALL OF FAME AND ME

MOTHER-IN-LAW AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW

I CAN NEVER FAIL