FAITH'S HALL OF FAME AND ME


I love fiction. I have always loved fiction for as long as I could read. For me, a good story beats the best movie anytime. When I am reading a good story, I easily 'leave' my surroundings and travel to the land of the story. And I immerse myself in the characters' lives. I relate to them like real people. I feel their pain. I smile when they smile. I am sometimes scared for them when they are walking into danger. (That is, for my favorite characters o).

One thing I have observed in reading fiction is the love the author obviously has for some of his characters. And also his or her dislike for some characters too. I can tell by the way he describes the character he loves.

The lead character is often someone very beautiful or very handsome. Apart from that, the character (whom I will call 'he') is miraculously almost morally perfect. Even his flaws are made to seem endearing. This is obvious especially in Christian fiction. He is unbelievably loving, patient to a fault. So patient he is annoying. Courageous, almost never scared, not a bad thought for anyone, even if that 'anyone' is going to kill him or has shown him the worst kind of evil, etc etc.

And I get angry with such characters. I find myself hissing at their perfection because I cannot relate to them at all. And because sometimes I feel guilt because I am not like them.

I have read very few novels where the character is relatable, with flaws like every human (mixed of course with his virtues).

And alot of times, we consciously or unconsciously evaluate our lives in light of these characters. Some of us even try to do what these characters did, so as to solve some of our problems, especially in marriage (which can be a big mistake, lol).

Oya, let's leave fiction, and talk about the characters of the greatest non-fiction EVER : the Holy Bible. Wait, these guys are not just characters. They are people who actually lived and died. And some of these people walked with God. They were heroes. They make up what we sometimes call the 'hall of fame' in Hebrews 11. And because the Bible was given to us so we can learn from these people of God, Children of God like us, it's imperative that we look at them today.

(I think it's important to state at this point that I am talking about Christians. People who believe in Jesus, and have eternal life).

One thing I love about these heroes of the faith is that they are relatable. They are real. People with virtues and flaws. God wasn't ashamed to tell us about their failures, which is refreshing to me, I tell you.

Abraham, who was called God's friend, and who we call the Father of faith today, and who made it to the list of the Generals of Faith in Hebrews 11, goofed while he waited for Isaac. Remember his bargain with God that Ishmael be the promised heir even when God clearly said the promised one would come from the barren womb of Sarah. Remember when he lied to Abimelech that Sarah was his sister, not wife. It's easy to criticise him but I see myself in him. I remember times when I lied to save myself from an embarrassing or uncomfortable situation.

Sarah's laughter of doubt at God's promise to her that she would conceive, Thomas's insistence that he would have to see the imprints of the nails on Jesus's hands to believe Jesus is alive, faithful Zachariah's doubting Angel Gabriel's prophecy of the birth of John, reminds me of myself. I see myself in these people.

I am the kind of person who wants to figure things out, be sure before I move. I am plagued often with doubt. Doubt in my abilities, and most importantly doubt about God's promises in my life.
Even in my best times of faith, doubts manage to sneak in somehow.

Remember Saul? Though he wasn't among the heroes of faith, he walked with God at a time in his life.

Remember when Saul performed a much-needed sacrifice to God before Samuel came, because of the pressure mounting on him in the face of war, much to Samuel and God's displeasure.

People have complained about Saul's impatience, but each time I read that story I feel like reaching across time and slapping Samuel. I mean, why didnt Samuel just come and perform the sacrifice when he was supposed to? Why did he have to come after Saul was forced to perform the sacrifice without him?

Again, I see myself in Saul's impatience. Patience isn't exactly my strong suit, especially in the face of pressure. And I don't like being kept waiting.

Saul's selective obedience to God in not destroying both Amalekite people and animals as God commanded him but instead, sparing their King and some of their animals 'to offer sacrifice to God' reminds me of my many times shamefully selective obedience to God's word.

Great apostle Paul's refusal to allow Mark accompany him in his evangelistic travels because he abandoned them at a certain time, and resultant quarrel with Barnabas reminds of me again. Impatient me. The me that is sometimes impatient, and intolerant of people. Especially their flaws.

James and John, apostles of Jesus whom Jesus nicknamed 'Sons of thunder', who asked Jesus for permission to call down fire from heaven to burn the Samaritans because they were refused entrance into the city reminds me of me. Sometimes vindictive and vengeful me. The me that would sometimes wish something bad on people who have hurt me.

Moses' fear that he would not be able to speak to Pharaoh to let God's people go because of his speech impediment reminds me of me. Of those times in the university when I doubted I would be able to perform my duties as an executive in the fellowships I belonged to then, not being mindful of the fact that God who gave me the opportunity to serve him in those offices would equip me.

Even David, the man after God's own heart goofed big time. Remember the adultery and murder he committed?

Time will fail me to tell of the failures of these heroes of faith. (Yeah, the same way Apostle Paul said time would fail him to tell of their exploits, lol).


While their flaws are not commendable, or justifiable, they make me know that these guys are human like me. These guys are relatable. I can understand their flaws.

But most importantly, I love these guys because they remind me of God's unfailing, flawless love for his very flawed children.

I am reminded by them that there is hope for me.

That while I seek to work on my flaws, God will be patient with me. He will NEVER leave me because of my flaws. Instead, he will hold my hands and walk with me now, throughout this present imperfect, flaw-filled life, and into FOREVER when I shall see His loving Face.

Comments

  1. I'm speechless. I can so relate. Thanks dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautiful read and absolutely relatable. Forever grateful for the father's love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for reading! We thank the Lord for his great love towards us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MOTHER-IN-LAW AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW

I CAN NEVER FAIL