A 'belated' happy teachers Day

Hmm.. Belated. Bhet why belated na? And why exactly are those quotation marks there? You may be wondering..

Suffry dey wonder o. Before you turn to wonderer. (Femi Kuti, you no say I be semi-fan). I will answer you soon..

But first, let me say a Happy New Year to you all. This my blog e don gather cobwebs, I know. But I am clearing the cobwebs as I write. Hope you missed me?

Well, back to the subject of this post. As I believe we all know, last Saturday was Teachers Day. As it was a very busy weekend for me ,it was when I was finally free, at night, that I remembered and thought about the profession we were celebrating that day. This post is my tribute to this most noble of professions.

I can picture somebody's mouth opening somewhere now. Teaching? Profession? Most noble ke? How can I mention Teacher and profession and most noble in the same sentence?

Well, as a typical Nigerian, the one thing I will tell you right now is 'no be your fault'.

Naturally we decide how much value a thing has byy how much money it attracts. And unfortunately our government and most private employers have shown just how much they value the Teaching profession. Sad! As the saying goes, when the purpose (I will say value here) of a thing is not known, abuse is inevitable.

We usually say that a Teachers reward is in heaven. While I agree that teachers important Contribution to nation building and the life of our children in particular is unquantifiable,i believe we can encourage teachers to continue their good work by paying them worthy salaries. They don't have to get to heaven before they are encouraged. I will say while their reward is in heaven, encouragement for them should be here on earth. Here is where they need it.

Yes! The indignities Nigerian teacher suffer may have made us forget or ignorant of how significant the teaching profession is, so lemme remind us.

The teacher is a moulder, a builder, a 'shaper', not of things, but of People. The people who will go ahead and make things.

The teaching profession is a Parent Profession. A profession of professions. I will call it, the Alpha of professions. No matter what profession you belong to, you all had teachers at every level of your education.

No Teacher-no Lawyer, no banker, no engineer, no doctor, no anything.

In fact no Teaching profession, no other profession.

As for the quotation marks surrounding the word belated, celebrating the teaching profession shouldn't be a one day thing. It should be a daily thing. Everyday is a Teacher's Day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FAITH'S HALL OF FAME AND ME

MOTHER-IN-LAW AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW

WE ARE FAMILY FOR ALL ETERNITY!